May 22, 2020
Dear Fieldstone Families,
As the ninth week of online learning is complete, and it has now been confirmed that schools will not be re-opening for the rest of this school year, the teachers and administration are grateful for the virtual platform on which we can continue to connect with one another and support the continuation of learning for our students. We are less than four weeks away from the last day of classes, which is Wednesday, June 17th, and plans are now being put into action to ensure that our Closing Ceremony and Grade Eight Graduation will still take place, virtually. More details are shared in today’s Friday File below, along with additional important information regarding personal belongings and the Kindergarten graduation.
Although we must remain physically apart, the wonderful accomplishments of our stellar students and the hard work being done by our dedicated teachers continues to be celebrated and appreciated. It is a pleasure to be part of Fieldstone’s adaptable, supportive, and caring community, most especially during the current circumstances.
One of the highlights of this week was seeing screenshots of the students during Thursday’s House Meetings. The smiles spoke volumes! We are looking forward to scheduling House Meetings again in a couple of weeks. We will let you know soon!
If you haven’t had a chance to do so yet, please complete the consent form to share online learning photos HERE. We have some great photos that we would love for everyone to see.
Have an enjoyable weekend,
Ms. Ginie Wong and Ms. Leanne Martin
Kudos to the Kids!
Below: FDS Art is always impressive! Some of our youngest students have recently completed work emulating the art of Grant Woods.
- Kudos to Timur in Grade Two for approaching his learning with an open mind and going for the challenges too! Well done on sticking with it, even when it’s tricky, and for also taking advantage of tutorials to showcase your learning and ask for guidance.
- The Grade Sixes are really getting into yoga and meditation during our morning meetings!
- Kudos to Kayla, Aksha, and Sofia for their dedication to Visual Arts Class!
- Kudos to the Grade Eights and Sixes for the level of effort in doing their school work. Marvellous!
- Jon has been very on top of his work, always asking questions to clarify the work. He regularly attends class Google Meets and keeps his classmates’ spirits up!
- Well done, and a big kudos to my kiddos in Grade Two who are taking advantage of all the resources, completing their learning independently, seeking help in tutorials when needed, and consistently attending our Google Meet meetings. Keep it up Thomas, Lorenzo, Jordana, Lillianna, and Timur!
- Kudos to Jianna, Mia, Niko, and Valentina for consistently attending Google Meets, showing up prepared, and submitting their work for review on an ongoing basis!
- Ava greets her friends and teachers with a bright smile and enthusiastic “Good Morning!” each day at our Homeroom Hangouts.
- Taï has sent a very inspiring letter to an isolated elderly person in France, thanks to the project “1 sourire 1 lettre”!! Thank you, Taï, for caring and sharing.
- Sava was really on top of his rhythm this week! He did an excellent job reading Megalovania.
- Great work, Lorenzo B., for creating a beautiful Canadian Totem Pole with amazing details for History/Geography.
- Matthew and Steve are becoming pro game designers in Coding Club. Congratulations on developing a high level of computational thinking skills, Mr. Coders!
Below: Kudos to our very own Ms. Peter for being so creative with her Music lessons! She decided that, by popular request, live music classes this week would focus on this piano arrangement of “Megalovania” an FDS fan favourite. Younger students can helped find sharps, flats, and naturals. Older students enjoyed learning the main theme.
Campus Closure Update: Health and Safety Top Priority as Schools Remain Closed
The Ontario government is protecting the health and safety of students during the COVID-19 outbreak by keeping schools closed for the rest of this school year. This decision was made after consulting with the Chief Medical Officer of Health, health experts on the COVID-19 Command Table, and medical experts at The Hospital for Sick Children. As our community’s safety and well-being is of paramount importance to us, we will continue our campus closure for the remainder of the school year.
Personal Belongings at School
At this time, we are unable to schedule any pick-up of personal belongings from the school due to the mandated closure and physical distancing that is in effect. When it is deemed safe to do so, we will create an organized and safe process to allow families to retrieve items from the school, as well as pick up yearbooks, while following Public Health guidelines.
Closing Ceremony and Grade Eight Graduation
Due to the school closure, our Closing Ceremony and Grade Eight Graduation will be shared virtually in the form of an interactive programme. On Thursday, June 18th, the community will receive a link to access the virtual ceremony. There will be video speeches for homeroom classes, the Grade Eight Graduating Class, Individual Awards, and the House Cup, as well as a video speech from the Valedictorian (who will be announced in the next couple of weeks). PowerPoint presentations will also be included to showcase the Grade Eight graduates, and award recipients of the Class Awards and Individual Awards. Certificates, ribbons, and medals will be mailed to the recipients when it is deemed safe to do so.
*Please note, the ceremony does not need to be viewed at a specific time, and can be repeatedly enjoyed as many times as families wish.
Grade Eight Virtual Graduation Celebration – Friday, May 29 from 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
The Grade Eights are excited to hold a Graduation Celebration Party as a class. Grade Eight families, please note:
- Using Google Chrome, you will need to install Netflix Party at https://www.netflixparty.com/
- *ONLY available on Chrome browsers on desktop or laptop computers.
- A party will then be created and the party URL link will be shared for everyone to join.
- For full instructions, please click HERE.
Due to the school closure, the Kindergarten Class of 2019-2020 will be celebrated at our Opening Ceremonies in September, at the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year. Kindergarten Diplomas will be mailed with the students’ report cards, when it is deemed safe to do so.
Updated House Points
- Carr = 1158
- Fox = 1146
- Peterson = 1449
- Richler= 1173
Below: Our House Meetings were a hit! Thanks to the very supportive mom who shared this positive feedback on her Instagram Story!
Resources and Opportunities
Fieldstone Kilometre Challenge
To celebrate the nice weather, Mr. Loucks is encouraging all of us to get outside (safely, of course). Following physical distancing guidelines, the goal is to work together with your classmates and accumulate as many kilometres as you can. You can get these kilometres through any means of active transportation. You can walk, run, bike , scooter, rollerblade, etc. As long as you are being active!
How to Track your Distance?
You can track kilometres in a variety of ways. You can use phone apps such as Strava, Nike Run Club, or any other app you know of. These apps will tell you the exact distance you traveled. You can use step counters such as fit-bit. For this challenge we will say 1 step = ½ a metre. You can put the points you traveled between into google maps and it will tell you the distance you traveled.
The PDF version of the weekly KM Tracker Worksheet can be found HERE. Please refer to Mr. Louck’s Assignment post on your Google Classroom to obtain your own digital copy of this worksheet on which you enter your kilometres directly.
Health and Wellness Resource
School Mental Health Ontario has some tips and resources to help to support student mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic. Click HERE.
DGN Kilters is offering a special price on Graduation Hoodies:
From DGN Kilters: “We recognize that graduation is a very important time for students as they reflect on their past accomplishments and begin setting their sights on a new journey. DGN Kilters wants to do our part and help them with those memories. We are offering a special price on Graduation Hoodies for our students!”
For more information on how to purchase a graduation hoodie, click HERE.
Upcoming Events and Reminders
|Wednesday, May 27||Youth Science Canada Online Science Fair judging ends|
|Thursday, May 28||Youth Science Canada Online Science Fair results announced|
|Friday, May 29||Grade Eight Virtual Graduation Celebration at 9:00 a.m. (netflixparty.com)|
|Thursday, June 18||Virtual Closing Ceremony and Grade Eight Graduation|
Reminder: We Request your Consent for Online Learning & Sharing Photos
We welcome the chance to share photos of our wonderful FDS students as they engage in online learning. Parents and Guardians, please complete and submit this FORM, if you haven’t already done so. Thank you!
As always, you can see regular snapshots of student learning on our social media channels:
Below: For Kindergarten Show and Tell this week, one student showcased his amazing multitasking mom!