June 12, 2020
This is our final Friday File for the 2019-2020 school year. Next week, the students will have three days of online learning, and then a virtual celebration for our Closing Ceremony and Grade Eight Graduation will be shared with the Fieldstone Community on Thursday. It will be in the form of an interactive programme, which can be viewed at any time and will contain links to video speeches and powerpoint presentations for everyone to enjoy. For optimal viewing, please right-click each link and open a new tab. A special thank you to our faculty, staff, and Mrs. Erlick for your video submissions which have allowed us to replicate, as best we can, the final event of the school year.
Today was the last day of our online clubs. Thank you to Mr. Bekit, Mr. Blasiak, Mr. Burch, and Ms. Kim for hosting these clubs for our students, symbolizing yet another wonderful way in which our teachers and students have stayed connected while using an online learning platform.
We would like to commend our students, their parents, and our teachers for all their hard work and dedication over the course of the entire school year. When we look back and reflect on the 2019-2020 school year, it will definitely be remembered as a unique time in our lives where we were apart for one-third of the time, but still remained a team, working together.
It is an honour and a privilege to be part of a school where we are reminded on a daily basis of how special the Fieldstone community is. From small acts of kindness, to exceptional achievements, there is always a reason to smile. Tutorials, lessons, clubs, and more may have moved online, but the happiness, laughter, and connections remained, and were more important and gratifying than ever before.
Ms. Ginie Wong and Ms. Leanne Martin
Kudos to the Kids!
Below: Kudos to all of our students for learning so many computer literacy skills during this unique time. Grade Threes have been writing newspaper articles for their last Language Arts project and, as part of the editing process, learned how to share their screen, edit text boxes on Google slides, upload photos, and share documents! Impressive!
- Kudos to Matteo, Tsubaki, and Joaquim in Grade One and Lorenzo, Timur, Thomas, and Jordana in Grade Two for all your creativity as you become authors one last time this year. Your Twisted Tales are coming along nicely!
- Extra kudos to Matteo, Theo, Tsubaki, Jordana, and Timur who are taking advantage of tutorials to refine their final piece of writing for the year!
- Congrats to all students for their resiliency and getting to the end of the school year with a positive attitude!
- Kudos to the Grade Three Class and their families for a superb term of online learning!
- Kudos to Lorenzo D. for consistently completing his P&HE work in great detail.
- Tai is always on top of her Visual Arts work and does an excellent job on her research and her art.
- Peter always submits work in Visual Arts and does an excellent job.
Congrats to Ran, Jianna, Mia, Niko, and Valentina for their excellent “Present a Country” presentations during this week’s Show-and-Tell!
Kudos to the entire Kindergarten Class for all of their ongoing hard work!
- Kudos to Kayla, Aksha, and Buglem for being such a fabulous trio in French Class.
- I am pleased with Sofia, Tylor, and Aaron; they stayed focused and persevered to do their best in online learning.
- Jordana is a whiz at reading new music, like the brand new Squirrel Song this week!
- Kudos to Sava for his excellent attendance during the Grade Five morning and afternoon Google Meets.
- Kudos to Peter for always trying his hardest and achieving amazing success in the online learning platform.
- Tai did an excellent job of helping Ms. Franco and Ms. Yanowski lead the last Carr House meeting of the school year.
- The Kindergarten Class did an amazing job at presenting countries this week in Show-and-Tell!
- Kudos to Jordana who went above and beyond (see below) searching for children’s literature about the people who made a great impact on the civil rights movement in the United States. Keep up the great work 🙂
Monday, June 15 to Thursday, June 25 – Book an Appointment for Locker Cleanup
Locker cleanup is scheduled to be Monday, June 15 to Thursday, June 25. Each time slot will be 20 minutes and we can accommodate four locker cleanups in each time slot. Please be advised that we can only allow one person per locker in order to accommodate four locker cleanups in each time slot. Before entering the school, all members of the Fieldstone community (staff, students, parents, and guardians) will be required to complete a COVID-19 symptoms screening questionnaire, sign in and sign out at the screening station.
We kindly request that, in addition to locker cleanup, you also:
- Donate uniform pieces for the FPA Uniform Shop.
- Return all textbooks that have been signed out by your child(ren) from Fieldstone (e.g. learner’s books, coursebooks, novels) to a designated location (details TBA).
- Please drop off the above items in the cafeteria (tables will be labelled with signs for both uniform donations and textbook returns).
We ask anybody entering the school campus to please follow Public Health guidelines:
- wear a face covering and gloves when entering school
- park leaving a free space between cars
- do not gather outside the school before or after having collected their personal effects;
- respect the physical distance of 2 m at all times
- sanitize your hands before you enter and after you leave the school
- Update: Clear plastic bags will be provided to gather your belongings. If you bring your own bags, you will be asked to leave them outside of the building.
For FDS families that are not in Toronto at this time, please email email@example.com by June 17th to let us know that you would like us to pack up your belongings and when you will be able to come and pick them up. Items that are not picked up by August 14th will be donated to the Salvation Army or Wish Foundation.
Due to the complications caused by COVID-related measures for the yearbook company, yearbooks will be delivered in July. You will be informed via email once more information is available.
June Report Cards – Reminder
For the June Report Cards, students will not receive a mark that is lower than the mark they had prior to the school closure; however, each student will have the opportunity to improve his/her final grade based on assignment submissions, scheduled one-on-one tutorials (e.g. for an end of unit assessment in Kindergarten), supervised assessments, and the professional judgment of the teacher. As always, students’ marks will be determined based on their most recent and most consistent level of achievement.
Closing Ceremony and Grade Eight Graduation
Due to the school closure, our Closing Ceremony and Grade Eight Graduation will be shared virtually in the form of an interactive programme. On Thursday, June 18th, the community will receive a link to access the virtual ceremony. There will be video speeches for homeroom classes, the Grade Eight Graduating Class, Individual Awards, and the House Cup, as well as a video speech from the Valedictorian (who will be announced in the next couple of weeks). Powerpoint presentations will also be included to showcase the award recipients of the Class Awards and individual certificates, ribbons, and medals will be mailed to the recipients when it is deemed safe to do so.
*Please note, the ceremony does not need to be viewed at a specific time, and can be repeatedly enjoyed as many times as families wish.
Due to the school closure, the Kindergarten Class of 2019-2020 will be celebrated at our Opening Ceremonies in September, at the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year. Kindergarten Diplomas will be mailed with the students’ report cards, when it is deemed safe to do so.
Below: Our Kinders celebrated Ms. I.’s birthday remotely this week. We have continued to find ways to celebrate and share special moments during our campus closure.
Resources and Opportunities
McCarthy Uniforms – Fun PPE
McCarthy’s has been providing PPE to workplaces and school communities. Their team worked with a cross section of kids and teens to develop a line of FPPE (or ‘Fun’ PPE). If you are interested in purchasing “fun” PPE at wholesale prices, please click HERE.
Harry Potter author calls on young fans to create illustrations for new story
JK Rowling is calling on young fans between the ages of seven and 12 years old to create their own illustrations for the story, The Ickabog‘s, ahead of the fall publication of the print version, slated to be released this November. Ebook and audiobook versions are also planned for November. Learn more HERE.
Upcoming Events and Reminders
|Wednesday, June 17||Last Day of Online Learning|
|Thursday, June 18||Virtual Closing Ceremony and Grade Eight Graduation|
|Sunday, June 21||Happy Father’s Day!|
We wish our Fieldstone Dads an extra special and enjoyable day on June 21st!
Below: It’s a time of reflection and celebration at FDS. Math Club ended the year in style with a Virtual Pizza Party!